- New Newsletter format. Please review the PDF main newsletter page to visit the items of interest regarding information from AMP and the MVHS music department. Don’t miss the calendar to get all important dates.
- Social Media. Please join AMP on Facebook and Twitter at @MeteaAMP! Please encourage your music students and music alumni to join MV AMP on social media.
For Your Information
- 2017-2018 AMP Executive Board & Chairperson Nominations. Whether you’re a band, chorus or orchestra parent, AMP could use your help! 2017-2018 MV AMP Board and Chairperson positions are available and a few 2016-2017 events are still in need of chairpersons. Read details here. Nominations for the MV AMP Board will be accepted until Friday, March 10, 2017. Elections for the MV AMP Board positions will be held on Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 4pm in Room A133. AMP has posted a proposed amendment regarding AMP executive board term limits on the AMP page. Please visit the MeteaMusic.org AMP page for more information.
- Dinners Out. The February “Dinners Out” location will be Jersey Mike’s (1147 North Eola Road, Suite 103, Aurora) on Wednesday, February 22 from 10am to 9pm. Please see the “Dinners Out” article for details on the Feburary 22 date and the March (Taylor Street Pizza) and April (Chipotle) Dinners Out dates.
- Broadway Star Visit To Metea. Heather Headley, a Trinidadian-American singer, songwriter, record producer and actress worked with MVHS Aida cast members on the afternoon of January 31. See more details here and don’t miss the Daily Herald article.
- Next AMP Board Meeting. The next AMP meeting is scheduled for 4:00pm on Wednesday, April 5, 2017 in A133.
- MVHS Music Alumni. If you know a former MVHS fine arts student or parent, please invite them to like the AMP Facebook page and follow the AMP Twitter account (@MeteaAMP) to find out current happenings in the music program. Alumni won’t want to miss updates about the alumni tent at the Fine Arts Festival on May 20. All MVHS fine arts alumni are invited to stop by! See more details here.
- Recordings. Please note, sound recordings from concerts are available on Sound Cloud using the password mustangs.
- Music Decals. Decals for vehicles can be purchased from the Sports Boosters window in the Commons at all sporting events. Decals available include: band, orchestra, chorus, madrigals, etc.
- Jazz Ensemble. The Jazz Ensemble will be performing at UIC during “Jazz Fest” on February 15. Check out “Music on the Road” for photos.
- Organizational Festival. The February 20th event will be at Neuqua Valley High School. Wind Ensemble, Wind Symphony, Chamber Orchestra, Chamber Strings, Varsity Singers, Treble Singers, and Chamber Singers will both perform and participate in music clinics with University Professor Clinicians.
- Tri-M Recital. The Tri-M recital will be on February 21st. All music students are welcome to perform. Please see the Tri-M page to learn more.
- Solo & Ensemble. The annual Solo and Ensemble District event at Waubonsie Valley HS will be on February 25th. Soloists and Group Ensembles perform a selection of their choice for adjudication. MVHS will be represented with 88 soloists and 49 ensembles.
- MIOSM Concerts. Save the dates for the “Music in Our Schools Month” concerts held in the MVHS Auditorium.
- March 9 (6:30pm) Symphonic Orchestra, Cecillian Singers, Symphomic Winds, MVSO
- March 9 (8:15pm) Treble Singers, Concert Band, Wind Symphomy, Chamber Orchestra
- March 14 (6:30pm) Symphonic Band, Concert Orchestra, Bass Chorus, Concert Choir
- March 14 (8:15pm) Varsity Singers, Symphonic Strings, Concert Strings, Concert Winds
- March 16 (6:30pm) Percussion Ensembles, Steel Drum Band
- March 16 (8:15pm) Chamber Singers, Wind Ensemble, Chamber Strings
- Marching Band Spring Break Trip. The spring break trip includes a trip to Epcot in Florida and then a cruise to the Bahamas. 102 MVHS music students will perform at the Epcot parade and a movie soundtrack recording session. The Jazz Ensemble will perform in the Bahamas and on the cruise ship. 14 chaperones, and 5 music faculty will accompany the students.
- Orchestra Spring Break Trip. 26 MVHS students from the orchestra and Chinese language program along with 7 MVHS chaperones will represent the school and travel to Taiwan over spring break. The itinerary includes three performances: two at different high schools with a combined finale with the local high schools, and one performance in Kaohsiung at the National Kaohsiung Normal University; MVHS staff member, vocalist Rachel Cheng will be performing as well. At the conclusion of this performance, Dr. Echols will present a gift to Metea’s new sister school, National Kaohsiung Normal University which was founded in 1967, is considered one of the best universities in Taiwan and is accredited as an institution in pursuing “excellence in teaching.”
- Eighth Grade Open House. MVAMP was visible during the Eighth Grade Open House event on January 19 with a table with information for students and parents about the MV music department.
- MVAMP Presents At Feeder Middle Schools. MVAMP Board members will be presenting at all feeder middle schools during spring chorus, band, and orchestra concerts to encourage students to continue in the music program in high school and make parents aware of the opportunities available to become involved in MVAMP. Invitations were made for all eighth grade music parents to attend the MVAMP March 22, 7pm Informational Meeting in the MVHS LMC. All MVHS music parents are also invited to attend the Informational Meeting.
- Diva Day & Guy’s Only Sing Night. Held January 12 and January 17, respectively. For Diva Day, approximately 290 girls (4th through 12th grade) attended from Hill, Granger, and Still and their feeder schools. 180 of the girls were MVHS chorus students. Candy was distributed. For Guy’s Only Sing Night (4th through 12th grade), guys attended from Hill, Granger, and Still and their feeder schools and pizza was served.
- ILMEA. All MVHS music faculty attended the Illinois Music Educators Association conference in Peoria from January 26-28. The MVHS Chambers Strings was honored to be chosen to play at the ILMEA conference on January 26th. In 2016, thousands of students auditioned to participate in the ILMEA District 9 District Honors Ensembles. Forty -seven MVHS students were chosen. From this group, a small group of 13 students were chosen to perform at the ILMEA conference on January 28 in Peoria:
- Band students – Daniel Dresser, Alice Kabira, Adithya Sundar, Kate Velazquez
- Orchestra students – Grace Butler, Kimmy Chuang, Mpho Molefe, Stephanie Wu, Eric Yu
- Chorus students – Stephen Giunta, Ethan St. Germain
- Future Music Educators – Jordan Brosius, Megan Corkey
- These 13 students spent the week in Peoria with hundreds of other students from Illinois, attending workshops and preparing for the three Saturday concerts (band, chorus and orchestra). Check out “Music on the Road” for photos.
- Montage. MVHS extracurricular musical groups performed at The Montage evening concert on February 2. NC17 (Naperville Community TV) recorded the concert and is running it at various times and days. Check for current schedule listed under “Metea Valley High School Montage Concert.”